I know you might have landed here wondering how long does it take for sunburn to go away….I will answer that question shortly:
But let me take you to one of the hottest places on Earth….
Away from the hustle and bustle of Tripoli and Benghazi, Libya’s commercial nerve centre, lies the small town of Aziziyah.
Just 25,000 people live here, almost entirely reliant on income they derive from transit trade.
This is explained by the fact that Aziziya is the single major trading centre in the entire Sahel Jeffare plateau which stretches from the coast to Nafusa mountains and then all the way to the Fezzan region in the south.
Sept. 13, 1922 had started just as any other market day in Aziziyah with the sun rising up early, warm as usual.
But what happened that day was truly remarkable and historic. The thermometer on the nearby weather station hit an astonishing 58 degrees (136 degrees Fahrenheit)!!
This was enough to break the previous record of 134 degrees Fahrenheit recorded in the Death Valley nine years earlier.
To date, Aziziya is still recorded as one of the hottest places on Earth.
Now, if you are planning to tour blazing hot places like Aziziya, you need to know that the sun there can be unforgiving.
It shines scorching hot, very hot and can devour your skin, burning it, leave you dry and sunburnt and nursing irritation.
Indeed, in these locations, the UV(Ultraviolet) light rays feel more savage and on a murderous mission- indeed the sunburns here are terrible
Back to your question now…. you asked: “how long does it take for sunburn to go away?”
Well, let me start by reminding you what a sunburn is:
What Is A Sunburn?
According to Wikipedia, a sunburn is a kind of radiation burn which affects living tissues, for example, your skin.
They bring you skin soreness, dryness, and in extreme case, you certainly like its itching all over.
Worst of it all, everybody can see you have it. Imagine when it chooses your forehead as its perch?
Everybody is like “friend, what happened to your beautiful face?” …some of your friends even laugh that perhaps you dared someone to a fight and you got yourself smacked hard..Embarassing, Huh?
On a grave note, scientists believe that constant sunburns are a clear indicator that your skin cells have already been destroyed by too much exposure to UV radiation.
This triples your risk of getting melanoma skin cancer.
What Causes Sunburns?
This is not news.
Sunburns come from overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays, usually from the sun.
This is how it goes:
It starts with too much radiation- either from your beloved sun or sunbed. This in effect damages the natural DNA inside your skin cells.
Then, if enough DNA destruction accumulates over time, it will make cells to grow out of control. This can eventually lead to skin cancer.
Thankfully, your body has its own inbuilt repair mechanism which repairs majority of the damage. Unfortunately, it is not always successful – some of the damaged DNA may remain behind.
So, it’s your body’s attempt at further repairs that brings the painful signs of sunburn.
What Are The Symptoms Of Sunburn?
It is hard to miss the symptoms. This is how you can tell you got sunburn:
- Red/reddish skin (erythema) that feels hot on touch.
- Mild dizziness
- Pain on the skin covering the affected spot(s)
- General fatigue
So, How Soon Can You Expect To See The Symptoms?
If you just got some extreme exposure to sun, expect to start seeing the symptoms within a few hours though in some cases, it can take up to 24 hours.
Worryingly, long-term damage may appear after years. In this case, the question of how long does it take to get rid of sunburn will not even arise. It might be too late!
Is It Possible To Prevent Sunburn?
Sunburns can be frustrating but the good thing is that it is something preventable.
In any case, they say it’s better to prevent than to heal…
Won’t you also prefer protecting rather than having to later run helter-skelter asking strangers: how long does a sunburn take to heal?
If that’s you, here are some of the things you might do: It all lies in protecting your skin against direct sun exposure.
- The sun is at its strongest between 10am to 4pm- if possible, stay out of it otherwise stay under a shade
- If you must be outdoors, use a strong sunscreen(having at least an SPF-sun protection factor- of 30 or marked broad-spectrum)
- Don’t try to build a base tan- if you believe like some that having a skin which is tan will help you, please stop it. In real sense, basking frequently to ‘create’ a buffer tan will lead to skin damage in the long run
- Wear protective clothing including;
- Anti UV sunglasses
- Tightly woven/ loose-fitting clothes covering your arms and also legs
- Wide hats(at least 4 in) to cover your scalp, ears, eyes and your neck
- Clothing crafted from sun protective fabric.
So, How Long Does It Take For Sunburn To Go Away?
Sorry for keeping you waiting…but you are not alone…I have already lost count of the number of times guys ask me this question in my private practice.
Some ask like you “How long does it take for sunburn to go away?” others ask about “how to heal sunburn” but I like letting know how long does sunburn last even before talking about how to get rid of sunburn
Well, this is what there is:
Sunburns vary in degrees and seriousness. Do know that each takes a different duration to heal. So the answer to the query of how long do sunburns last depends with its seriousness…let’s see how long does sunburn take to heal
With these, you get redness, sensitivity, and some pain in your affected area.
This burn can take three and up to five days before going away
These are more painful. Not only is your skin red it will also be swollen. On top of this, the spot feels hot.
This will nag you for about one week. Then, it’s not over yet… expect your skin to peel for a few more days.
For these, don’t bother with home remedies for sunburn. Immediately see a doctor.
They normally involve blistering and exceedingly red skin.
And they take longer to heal- two weeks if not more.
So, that is your answer to the question how long does it take for a sunburn to heal ?
Best Home Remedies For Sunburn.
When summer comes, you want to enjoy warm weather, go swimming, flaunt your fishing talent, take a picnic with your buddies or just have a good laugh under the blue skies.
It is also at this time that sunburn strikes.
Well, if it strikes, don’t panic. You can first try the following home remedies
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a super astringent. It will soothe your sunburn pain and speed up your healing. You can add a single cupful of the vinegar to your bathtub (fill it with lukewarm water first), then soak in there for around 30 minutes
Or else, mix apple cider vinegar and cooled water (equal proportions). Then soak paper towels and place over affected spots. Leave them there till the towels dry. You should repeat severally in a day until you get healed
With apple cider vinegar, how to treat sunburn at home will no longer be an issue.
A cloth soaked in milk helps cool your sunburn. You can also try pouring cooled milk over your affected areas. Do this several times daily
Tea is packed full of excellent antioxidants that work wonders treating irritated or sunburned skin.
This is what you do:
Brew a few teabags in a pot full of hot water, leave it for some few minutes. Then soak a piece of cloth in the tea and dab it on your suffering spots.
You have to repeat this 3 to 4 times daily until your skin improves
Buy the vitamin E sold in bottles or in capsule form. Apply the contents to all the affected spots. It reduces inflammation and makes you heal faster.
Oatmeal has powerful soothing properties that maintain your skin natural moisture and minimize irritation.
Just fill your bathtub with cooled water, then add a cup of oatmeal. Mix thoroughly. From there, just soak in there for around 30 minutes.
After you get out, air dry your entire body(Never rub your skin using a towel). Repeat daily until you heal. This is another excellent answer to the question of how to relieve sunburn at home.
To make the paste, just mix small water (a small volume) with cornstarch. Then apply two to three times a day.
It cools, reduces inflammation and itching.
Extract the gel from an aloe Vera leaf. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Finally, apply some light coating on your sunburned spot.
Repeat this for five to six times daily and for several days
Plain mashed potatoes- once cooled- can also help soothe the affected spot. If you want a better result, chill the potatoes in a fridge before use.
Baking soda is alkaline in nature and soothes sunburned skin. Its antiseptic properties relieve itchy sensations
Fill up your bathtub this time with cold water. Add a cupful of baking soda. Then stir well.
You should then soak for 15 minutes.
Afterwards, air-dry your body (no towel). Do this once every day till things look up.
You can also make a baking soda paste by opting to mix the baking soda with measured amounts of water.
It should work as well.
This reduces inflammation and sunburn pain.
Wrap a couple of ice cubes inside a damp cloth. Hold your compress over the harmed area (so long as it remains cool).
Do this several times daily up to when the sunburn improves.
Avoid applying ice directly on your skin as it may cause long-term skin damage
So, instead of asking how to soothe a sunburn, try the compress.
Lavender Essentials Oil Or Chamomile
Add any of these oils to your bath water. They help relieve any lingering pain or stinging in your sunburn
Apply this plant-based ingredient to your affected area to reduce inflammation
By showering in cool water, you will reduce the irritation in your sunburn and sooth it. Be careful not to use scented soap as it may cause further irritation
Just apply or pour cool potato juice on the affected spot. When applying, you can use cotton balls or a clean cloth.
You must repeat this several times a day
For this case, use a blender to make a paste of refrigerated cucumbers. Then add this to the area where it’s paining
Never Attempt This- It Will Worsen Your Sunburns
Unless you want to keep asking when will my sunburn go away, you are better off avoiding the following;
Uncover Your Blisters
Always keep your blisters covered as your sunburn heals. This will reduce more injuries and irritation
“Caine” creams may cause an allergic reaction or further irritation
Peel Your Sunburn
Please resist the temptation to pick or peel your sunburn. You will negate healing progress
Expose Your Sunburn To More Sunshine
You won’t go back there. Will you? Always keep it away from your enemy number 1- the sun at all costs.
Clean It With Scented Soap
When cleaning your hurting blisters, always use fragrance free gentle soap and water. You can apply an anti-bacterial cream afterward before covering it back.
If You Are Here, You Are At A Higher Risk Of Getting A Severe Sunburn..
Unfortunately, some have a higher probability of getting a serious sunburn. Here is our list of the endangered;
- If you are fond of going outside when the sun is hottest
- If you are taking photo-sensitizing medicine
- The light or fair skinned
- If you live or visit the locations near the equator
- People at high altitudes during sun exposure
- Those who like using tanning beds
- If you live under ozone holes
- If you have freckles, fair or red hair
Best Sunburn Remedy Products And Best Treatment For Sunburn.
If your home remedies fail, you may want to get professional advice. Even if to know what cream is good for sunburn
You can go for over the counter creams, or try the best aloe for sunburn
Still, there are other options:
You will find some great organic gels, spray, powder and even moisturizers. I have covered some of the best sunburn relief products here;
1. Amara Organics Aloe Vera Gel Sunburn Remedy.
Even in old times, aloe Vera was still being used to heal burns, reduce fever and cure wounds.
I am talking about 6,000 years ago. It was the herb of choice from as far as ancient Egypt to the early China.
With strong anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, Aloe Vera has remained the treatment of choice for many ailments.
The Amara organics sunburn is one of the best sunburn relief products based on this miracle plant. It has been hailed for its quick results.
- Aloe Vera gel
- No color, alcohol or fragrance
- Thin gel
- Absorbs quickly(without leaving any sticky residue)
- Can be used on pets
- You can use it on your hair as a styling gel or conditioner
- Soothes rashes, itchy scalp, bug bites, razor burns and painful sunburns
- It’s great as an aftershave
- Provides cool relief if you have either dry, itchy, or irritated skin.
- This can also be a wonderful moisturizer
- It works well for pets too!
- Some users have suggested it is more loose and watery
With a healthy mix of anti-fungi, anti-bacteria and anti-inflammatory properties, many have trusted this wonderful aloe Vera based sunburn remedy for not just curing stubborn sunburns but also for many other skin ailments.
Probably, this could be your best lotion for sunburn.
2. Aloe Vera Gel Organic Moisturizing Treatment For Sunburn.
If you have tried various sunburn remedies with little success, you might have to go for an aloe Vera gel that seems to works on all skins like a super-power.
The aloe Vera organic treatment for sunburn is an all-purpose moisturizer enriched with vitamins and other nutritious minerals that quickly acts on irritated, damaged and your sunburned skin.
It is a quality, versatile product that will not only mend all skin types but also reduce wrinkles in addition to helping salvage your hair.
- Fast-absorbing gel
- Good for all types of skins
- Derived from pure aloe Vera
- Vitamin and minerals based nourishment features
- Anti-aging nutrients
- Doesn’t react with any part of your body
- The all-purpose moisturizer is awesome with your skin/hair
- It smoothens and strengthens your skin
- Repairs and condition destroyed hair
- Nourishes damaged, irritable and sunburned skin
- It’s an excellent anti-aging solution(you won’t look older than your years)
- Just like other aloe Vera gels, it looks a bit watery
This Aloe Vera Gel is rich in soothing vitamins and minerals. It is mixed to be an all-purpose moisturizer and tackles all irritated, damaged not forgetting sunburned skins.
It quickly dissolves into your skin and can also perform magic on aging skins, in addition to helping you recover your hair.
This is again one of the best treatment for sunburn
3. Neutrogena Sunscreen For Sunburn Prevention.
Sunscreens were first used as cosmetics. Over the years, a lot has taken place and it is now generally accepted that sunscreens can help stop sunburns
Neutrogena sunscreen for sunburn is formulated with the reliable Neutrogena Helioplex Technology and strongly shields you against the direct sun so that your skin is safe and you are protected from skin cancer.
It is very easy to apply.
- Light sunscreen stick
- Wide-faced shape
- Oil and PABA free
- Can be used on the face and body
- Has Broad Spectrum SPF 70
- UVA/UVB protection
- It’s a stick so easy to apply
- Very, very light
- Has a nice scent – almost like a deodorant
- Soaks in rapidly
- Lasts longer
- The smell doesn’t linger
- It reduces skin redness
- Keeps your skin feeling and looking young
- It doesn’t irritate even extremely sensitive skins
- The skin feels super emollient on application
- The cap is somehow awkward and you must roll it down to ease application
This is rated as one of the best product for sunburn
You get superior protection from skin-battering UVA rays and skin-harming UVB rays; so that you can enjoy a clean, shine-free protection everywhere you go.
This is a sleek sunscreen that helps create a powerful, long-lasting sun shield.
4. Burt’s Bees Aloe & Coconut Oil After Sun Soother.
Studies have shown that coconut oil can help boost moisture and lipid content in dry skins.
Coconut oil also protects against hair loss/damage.
It is also full of fatty acids that help improve dandruff plus dry hair
Finally, coconut oil is superb as a sunscreen and blocks around 20% of sun’s UV rays.
The burt’s bees aloe and coconut sun soother licks sun’s rays off your skin to maintain your skin in its natural beautiful form
It’s packaged in a tube and is actually a blend of aloe and coconut oil so you get the great protective features of aloe and the smoothening protection of coconut oil.
- Light tube
- Natural Aloe plus coconut oil lotion
- moisturizes after sun exposure
- Non greasy
- Acts as both a face and body moisturizer
- Soothe and hydrate to retain your skin in its natural form
- Replenishes and nourishes skin
- It has a nice, very mild scent
- Eliminate sunburn effects quickly
- It doesn’t stick
- Gentle on your skin
- Your skin doesn’t peel or itch
- Seems to dry up very fast so you must reapply several times for best results
When looking for instant sunburn relief, this aloe-coconut sun protector works great.
It is light, non-greasy, lacks a strong and is generally a fabulous daily moisturizer – not forgetting is purposely an after sun lotion.
4. Sun Bum Cool Down Hydrating After Sun Lotion/ Spray /Gel.
If you are planning to spend some time under some hot sun, just arm yourself with a hydrating sun lotion like the sun burn cool after sun lotion.
It takes care of your skin by refreshing it and keeping it hydrated. This way, your skin maintains its normal moisture balance.
Skin running at its normal moisture balance resists dryness and many other related ailments.
The greatest thing I like about this after sun is that it’s safe for use by individuals with various allergies.
Contains soothing aloe. Vitamin E enriched. Available as a “cool down” lotion, hydrating gel, and after sun spray. All three products are alcohol-free.
- Light Hydrating After Sun ointment
- UVA / UVB Protection
- Water, Sweat Resistant
- Has Rich Cocoa Butter
- Vitamin E enriched
- Containing Jojoba Oil
- Paraben-free / Gluten-free
- Vegan / Vitamin E Enriched
- It leads to a longer lasting tan
- Extremely good at cooling your skin
- It’s able to restore sun-damaged skin
- It keeps you moisturized after a day out basking in the sun
- This after-sun lotion has an awesome smell
- It does feel sticky on application for but dries soon after
This soothes and rehydrates your skin to its normal moisture balance. With soothing aloe. and being Vitamin E enriched, you will find this a warm “cool down” lotion, after sun hydrating gel, and spray
This is the best cream for sunburn which works even with the allergic
5. Aveeno Soothing Bath Sunburn Treatment.
Oatmeal is renowned as one of the premier breakfast cereals.
It has rich minerals such as zinc, selenium, thiamin, iron, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus which act to not only help your body maintain a healthy balance but also keeps everything in check.
The aveeno soothing sunburn treatment is compounded from a 100% natural colloidal oatmeal, an ingredient long known for its ability to sooth the most irritable skins.
Dermatologists recommend it as a perfect temporary tonic for itches, dryness, and irritation from poison ivy rash, eczema, rashes, and insect bites.
- 8-count box of bath treatment
- For itchy, irritated skin
- Powder form
- Made from 100 per cent natural colloidal oatmeal
- Offers you instant relief from itchy, irritated, and dry skin
- Works smoothly, just like natural cleansers
- It is professionally recommended so you are sure of results
- Easy to use- just dump it into your bath water and start soaking
- It also eases redness
- This is great with eczema
- Leaves some residue but you will find it easy to clean
This is an oatmeal based soothing bath treatment for all your itchy and irritated skins.
In addition, it works just like natural cleansers to clean your skin and kick-start its healing process.
If you have long been bothered by persistent skin irritations and eczema, this could be your healer.
6. Maui Island Secret Sunburn Relief Healing Gel.
Let’s briefly wax historical:
Legend has it that the demigod Maui prised the Hawaiian Islands from the high seas and roped the bright sun over Haleakala, which is the highest peak on the island.
Because of this no mean feat, the Maui Island was befittingly named after this mysterious being.
In fact, it is believed that the island’s shape resembles the head and body of Maui-the demigod.
Among the many good things to emerge from Maui is a sunburn relief of mythical powers- the Mau Island secret sunburn healing gel.
Made from pure Aloe, it’s outstanding with skin rashes, sunburns, jellyfish stings, shaving irritation, kitchen burns, and all insect bites.
- Made from Aloe compounded with other awesome ingredients
- Medicinal and an astringent
- Keep skins re-hydrated
- Packed in a bottle
- Soothed and comforted the severe pain and heat radiating from my skin
- Helps your burns tan quickly
- It feels nicely minty
- Smells good
- Is known to keep skins re-hydrated
- In case you have a terrible burn, it may not prevent peeling
If you love the sun, this will be great for all skin rashes, sunburns, jellyfish stings, shaving irritation, kitchen burns, and all insect bites.
It rapidly turns your burn to brown with its effective medicinal properties and is on top, an astringent.
You will be happy to discover this home remedy for sunburn
7. Green Leaf Naturals Organic Aloe Vera Sunburn Remedy Spray.
Aloe Vera is trusted by even Kings!
For your information, Egypt’s Queen Cleopatra was among the first users to be awed by the miracle plant.
It is believed that her beauty emanated from her daily application of aloe Vera gel onto her skin
It is not clear which of the brands of the many aloe Vera gels she was using but certainly, this green leaf natural aloe Vera spray could have made the grade.
This is cold pressed from vetted aloe Vera plants and has many, many uses: From being used as a daily moisturizer, after shave lotion, skin cream and even as sunburn treatment, this knows how to do it all.
- Pure, natural, and organic
- Versatile in terms of usage
- Kid and pet safe(paraben free)
- Can be infused into socks and gloves
- Easy to use spray
- It’s a pure aloe Vera- no thickeners
- You don’t experience sticky residues
- It’s a versatile sunburn healer- use it also as a moisturizer, hair gel, anti-wrinkle treatment, burn care etc
- You can create an additional buffer by spraying it into your socks and gloves
- It’s safe to use with your kids and pets
- Penetrates your skin gently and evenly for super results
- Doesn’t perform well with bad burns
If you are still wondering how to heal a sunburn, you can bet on this green leaf natural aloe Vera spray.
It is safe for use with pets and kids and works wonders be it as a moisturizer, after shave lotion, skin cream and even as sunburn treatment
8. Solarcaine Cool Aloe Burn Relief Spray.
Lidocaine HCL is a chemical used in medication for stopping itching and pain from various skin conditions.
The Solarcaine Cool aloe burn spray is Lidocaine HCL and Aloe Vera formulated spray perfect for immediate cooling and soothing of itchy areas. It also helps to reduce dryness.
Generally, it works well with minor irritations, sunburns, cuts, scrapes and insect bites. It’s designed to draw heat away from your skin hence the instant results.
- Has Lidocaine and Aloe Vera
- Fragrance and alcohol free
- Non-Stinging, non-Irritating
- Available as a parasol spray or gel
- Quick and easy application
- Fragrance free
- It safe as its alcohol free
- Its non-stinging as well as non-irritating
- Doesn’t leave any sticky residue
- It goes in gently
- Also moisturizes to reduce skin dryness
- Not recommended for major burns
The combo of Lidocaine and aloe works to instantly restore your skin when suffering from minor irritations, sunburns, cuts/scrapes and insect bites
It’s one of the most effective home remedies for sunburn relief great with all minor skin bothers.
Buying A Sunburn Treatment? Be Aware Of The Following
I hope I have answered your question of how long does it take for sunburn to go away sufficiently and reviewed the best sunburn treatments out there for you.
But I still feel I need to let you know about what you should check when buying a sunburn treatment…
Do know of the following;
- General Safety
Fragrance free and alcohol free creams are considered safer.
- How Quickly Is It Absorbed?
The rate at which the gel is absorbed affects the speed at which your sunburn heals. Quick absorbing creams are more effective
- What Else Can It Do?
Best sunburn healers moisturizes, sooth and reduce irritation.
- Aloe Based Healers Do the Job but….
When buying aloe Vera based products, know that some of them are more watery. But generally they do their job
- Skin Hydration
Keep your skin re-hydrated is crucial for rapid results. Sunburn treatments with rehydration properties are therefore preferable
- How Is It Packed?
Some healers are packaged as powders, sprays or gels. Check that whatever option you go for, it should be easy to use
- How Serious Is Your Sunburn?
The age and severity of your burn will influence the choice of the best treatment. Some of our products are best only with minor burns and bites
- The Longer It Lasts, The Better It Is
Long lasting reliefs are obviously better. There are some which you still find pain resurfacing after a few hours- so you are forced to re-apply every few hours
- Does It Leave A Residue?
The best healers do not leave residues after application- and if they do, it should be easy to clean
- What Does The Professionals Say?
Some of the treatments like the aveeno soothing sunburn treatment are recommended by dermatologists so you will be sure of the results.
Needless to say, I have answered your question of how long does it take for sunburn to go away – hopefully the way you expected.
Then, you also know of the causes of sunburns, symptoms, how to prevent them and even the guys who are at a greater risk of getting sunburns- for example, those who are fond of sun bathing when the sun is at its hottest.
We have also seen some useful home remedies and commercial sunburn treatments including aloe Vera based and oatmeal healers.
In addition, re-exposing your hurting areas to the sun- amongst other miscalculations- could be disastrous.
So, there you have it. With all this, you will never again ask how long does it take for sunburn to go away..
You are wiser and in charge- and even if you are to visit the hot town of Aziziyah, you will most likely leave unscathed.
More on Sincereviews
- Best Over The Counter Medicine For Sinus Infection
- Best Cough Medicine For Adults
- Best Doughnut Pillow For Tailbone Injury
- Best Ice Pack for Knee Pain
- Best Mens Dandruff Shampoo
- Best Neck Brace For Sleeping Support
- How To Get Over A Cold Quick
- Best Male Waist Trainer
- Best Condoms For Her and Him
- How Much Melatonin Can You Take?